Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gulf Coast Marsh Snake in Port O'Connor

 Rarely encountered and declining.  Four cats had this cool animal cornered below the Hockey's house this evening, too afraid to move closer within 24 inches of it.  It was a about 24-26" long.  I had first thought it was a Crayfish Snake until I checked Tennant....A very good find for me this evening...Here are a few photos in the event I need to be corrected on ID.  The range is restricted to the immediate coast  from about Portland to the Louisiana border (Tennant)....It likes to live in crab burrows, shoreline rubbish etc. etc.  And it has been a very long time since I have encountered one.  And a Crayfish Snake even scarcer....This darker individual had me wondering until I saw the ventral color pattern.




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment